Career Technical Education Credential
This program is grounded in rationale based on sound theory of adolescent and adult teaching and learning, incorporating a variety of effective teaching strategies and behaviors, including integrating the use of technology.
Coursework is sequenced to reflect the principles of teacher development and form a cohesive set of learning experiences to prepare the CTE teacher in appropriate pedagogical practices relating to the languages, skills and abilities of all students. The program includes processes for comprehensive assessment of CTE teacher candidate competencies.
What can I do with this credential?
- The preliminary designated subjects CTE teaching credential authorizes the holder to teach in the subject or subjects named on the credential in grades 12 and below and in classes organized primarily for adults in career technical, trade or vocational programs.
- The clear designated subjects CTE teaching credential authorizes the holder to teach in the subject or subjects named on the credential in grades 12 and below and in classes organized primarily for adults including services to English learners in Specially Designated Academic Instruction Delivered in English (SDAIE) in career technical, trade or vocational programs.
What are the admission requirements?
- Three years work experience directly related to the subject area to be named on the credential (one year recency requirement)
- High school graduation (or equivalent)
- Fingerprint clearance through Department of Justice
- CTC Application Form 41-4
- Processing fees
- DSE program admissions application
- Advisement regarding requirements for clear credential
- Recommendation by DSE program sponsor authorized signatory
What courses will I be taking?
- This credential requires 15 units of coursework. Following completion of the following courses, candidates may apply to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for the clear designated subject credential (SB 1104).
Required Courses DSE 400 Early Orientation for DS Teachers 2 units DSE 405 Educational Technology 1 unit DSE 410 Foundations of Career Technical Education 1 unit DSE 415 Curriculum Development 3 units DSE 420 Special Needs 2 units DSE 425 Learning & Instruction 3 units DSE 430 Assessing Student Learning 2 units DSE 435 Classroom & Laboratory Management 1 unit
- View the current course schedule.