Designated Subjects Education (DSE) Program
The designated subjects education program offers four credentials to equip teacher candidates with the appropriate pedagogical practices to connect to the language, skills and abilities of career technical and adult education students.
To meet teaching challenges and discover opportunities for professional growth in culturally and economically diverse learning environments, this program embraces goals set forth by Gary Borich, Ph.D., as follows:
- Effective teaching practices empirically derived and related to positive outcomes in learners
- Informal language to get points across quickly and in a user-friendly manner
- Practical techniques for engaging students in classroom, managing the classroom and increasing student achievement
- Training practices that are realistic and successful, not theoretical and speculative
What credentials are offered?
- Adult education credential
- Career technical education (CTE) credential
- Vocational education credential (Students must have begun this program prior to Fall 2010.)
- Special subjects credential
- Supervision and coordination credential
- All credentials are accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
What can I do upon completion of this program?
- This program enables graduates to teach adults and career technical students. Upon successful completion of all coursework, candidates may apply to the CTC for the clear designated subject credential.
- Our DSE teachers are employed throughout the Central Valley—specifically programs operating in Region 7 (including Mariposa, Kings, Madera, Fresno and Tulare counties), but we also serve the outlying areas of the central coast and further south. FPU is also the teacher preparation program for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) teachers.
How much does it cost?
- Tuition is $115 per unit. DSE courses range from 1 to 3 units.
When can I start?
- The DSE program operates under the degree completion two-semester system. The fall semester runs from August through January. The spring semester runs from February through July.
How do I apply?
- The application process is straightforward. View details on how to apply.
For additional information, view the DSE Teacher Candidate Handbook.
To schedule an appointment or for additional information, call or email:
Fresno Visalia Kathy Boyd
- Jo Ellen Priest Misakian